Universe at War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Universe at War

Universe at War. A Galactic frenzy of Role Play. Current Cannons in effect: Star Wars

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I

Go down 
AuthorMessage
{Admin} ShadowHeart
Admin

Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I Empty
PostSubject: Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I   Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 19:01

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Production information
Manufacturer
Haor Chall Engineering
Baktoid Armor Workshop

Model

Class
Droid starfighter

Technical specifications
Length
3.5 meters

Height/depth
3.5 meters

Maximum acceleration
3,900 G

Maximum speed (atmosphere)
1,200 km/h

Maneuverability rating

Hyperdrive system
None

Armament
Trade Federation version:
Blaster cannons (4)
Energy torpedo launchers (2)
CIS version:
Blaster cannons (6)
Buzz droid discord missiles (4)

Crew
Integrated droid brain

Passengers
None

Cargo capacity
None

Consumables
Fuel for 35 minutes

The Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I (also known as the Vulture-class droid starfighter or simply as the Vulture droid) was a droid starfighter used by the Trade Federation. Later, in much greater numbers, it was utilized by the Confederacy of Independent Systems. It participated heavily in the Clone Wars, at engagements such as the Battle of Kamino and Coruscant.

Like most of the Trade Federation's armed forces, it carried no living pilot, but rather a droid brain that was linked to a central control computer, often aboard a Lucrehulk-class Droid Control Ship. Each Trade Federation battleship carried 1,500 such droid starfighters.

The Vulture-class was designed by Haor Chall Engineering, which was founded by the fanatical Xi Char, a religious order dedicated to high-precision manufacturing. As a result, it represented classic Xi Charrian design— an insectoid appearance, multiple weapons emplacements, and a compact body that offered only a small target for enemy fighters.

The starfighter carried four blaster cannons and two energy torpedo launchers, and could reach 1200 kilometers per hour in a planet's atmosphere. When not in flight, the ship could transform into a walking weapons platform, used for ground patrol and troop support. While in this mode, a Vulture droid could also latch onto surfaces in zero gravity, allowing it to launch directly from the the external hull of a capital ship. The class featured thrust dampers, which if disabled forced starfighters to switch to the walker mode to operate. When docked in a hangar, they would often flex their components as part of self-maintenance. Vultures were also programmed to self-destruct if their link with their host control ship was severed.

A droid starfighter was capable of maneuvers that would kill an organic pilot, but they lacked the resourcefulness and cunning of living pilots, although they were capable of responding much faster. Vulture droids had an unusual fuel system, relying on solid-fuel concentrate slugs that provided propulsion upon ignition. However, they could only function for 35 minutes before having to be refueled. The Trade Federation solved this issue by sending Vulture droids into battle in timed, rotating swarms. Although they could react quicker to new situations than organic pilots, they had trouble responding to friendly units firing on them, a weakness Mace Windu exploited on Haruun Kal and the Battle of Coruscant.

Vulture droids were also capable of communication with one another, normally with chattering. In addition to this, it is safe to assume Vulture-class droids were capable of communicating with other battle droids, as shown during the Jedi's visit to the Saak'ak, Nute Gunray's Droid Control Ship. Vulture droid starfighters were usually named by a six-digit designation number, consisting of DFS- and a three-digit alpha-numeric combination, as illustrated by the fighters DFS-1VR and DFS-4CT.

Vulture-class fighters were launched in overwhelming numbers and excelled in both atmospheric and space combat. The Vulture droid's weapon systems consisted of four blaster cannons with two per wing. In standard flight format, the drone's wings were collapsed to conceal its blaster cannons. In combat, these wings split up to reveal these blaster cannons. In addition, the droid possessed two energy torpedo launchers that would weaken enemy targets before the starfighter delivered a laser cannon barrage. In walker-mode, the Vulture-class could only use its two torpedo launchers as its cannons were situated on the legs and pointed downwards. During the Clone Wars, Vulture droids were modified to carry buzz droid discord missiles, however it's more than likely that they could carry other types of missiles.
Back to top Go down
https://universeatwarrpg.rpg-board.net

Page 1 of 1